Jul 28, 2015

Missão Sorriso!

Juventude is just a small part of a very big movement. For this reason, it not only has its own projects, but also takes part in some projects that are happening in all Portugal at the same time in all Red Cross Delegations. Today I am going to tell you about one of the projects like that.

The project is called Missão Sorriso (Mission - Smile). It is made in partnership with Continente (Shopping center). The main idea of this project is really nice – to collect food for those who cannot afford to buy it themselves. People, who buy food in Continente can put it in a special Missão Sorriso bags and donate it to the Red Cross volunteers who are collecting the bags next to the cashiers. 

For me it was the first project I participated while doing my EVS. It was in the end of October, so I just have managed to get around with all the things that a happening in Juventude and I already had an opportunity to participate in such a great action.

During this action all the volunteers are divided in 3 groups. The first group gives people flyers with the basic information about this action and explains in short how can they participate and be part. The second group receives all the food donations and gives a very welcoming thank you! The last group consists of strong men, who take all the donations, put them in the storage room and prepare for it all to be taken to the Red Cross.

My Portuguese was still non-existing, so my job was just to collect the food and say a very big thank you with the biggest smile in my face. It was really strange, because I was not expecting that people are donating so much food. It was the first time that it made me feel that I am a real volunteer in Portugal and that I am a part of making someone’s’ life better. The smile on my face was as real and bright as the sun and I was feeling more than amazing!

This action takes place for one weekend (including Friday). All the volunteers of Red Cross delegations tries to be a part of this amazing action by giving at least 3 hours of their time and working in one shift.


It doesn’t matter what is your job during the week, or witch department you work in, on this weekend whole National Society of Red Cross is like a big family that joins together and works as one! This is the spirit that made me see how amazing are everyone and how little you need to make someone’s life a little bit better!
Gi 

No comments:

Post a Comment